We have an opportunity for volunteers on one of our Arts & Ages intergenerational projects running every Monday from May to July 2019
This is one of my favourite placements, I felt part of the team. I don’t think I could have asked for anything more
Rachel, Volunteer on Constellations
Magic Me’s new intergenerational project brings together older people from a sheltered housing scheme in Bethnal Green and primary school children through conversation, storytelling and creative activities led by two professional Magic Me artists Chuck Blue Lowry and Pooja Sitpura.
Each Monday, for 10 weeks we will be working together, using different art forms, to create work about our shared experiences.
This role would suit an individual with a genuine interest in Magic Me’s work and who is able to offer an accepting and understanding presence when supporting participants and artists on a weekly basis.
The following tasks are key parts of the role:
Building relationships with participants
- Participant support e.g. reading aloud instructions
- Artist support e.g. preparing materials
- Completing session registers
- Meeting children to walk to venue
- Collecting & setting up equipment & setting up the space
- Documenting the project e.g. photographs/audio recordings
- Sharing observations and giving feedback
WHAT WE CAN OFFER
We recognise the enormous value volunteers bring to our projects and therefore aim to provide a meaningful experience in a supportive and safe environment.
- We provide a full induction for the role and volunteers are appointed a key contact for regular supervision and on-going support.
- An opportunity to gain experience working with groups of children and older people.
- An opportunity to work in partnership with artists, schools and care/housing providers – gaining insight into other professions.
- We can provide a reference for future roles.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to and from sessions (between London zones 1-6).
- We provide a full Disclosure & Barring Service Check.
DATES & LOCATION
We are looking for volunteers who can commit to the majority of the dates below.
The project will take place in Bethnal Green, East London (near Bethnal Green Overground Station).
Date Time Session Location
Monday 13 May Morning & Afternoon TBC Introduction sessions with each group
Monday 20 May 1:00 – 3pm Intergenerational session
w/c Monday 27 May 1:00 – 3pm Half term – adults only session
Monday 3 June 1:00 – 3pm Intergenerational session
Monday 10 June 1:00 – 3pm Intergenerational session
Monday 17 June 1:00 – 3pm Intergenerational session
Monday 24 June 1:00 – 3pm Intergenerational session
Monday 1 July 1:00 – 3pm Intergenerational session
Monday 8 July 1:00 – 3pm Intergenerational session
w/c Monday 8 July TBC Celebration event
Monday 15 July 1:00 – 3pm Evaluation session
Please note that the above times are session times only and do not include set up and pack down time. We usually allow approximately 30 minutes before and after each session.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in volunteering on this project, please first check your availability with the project dates. Then, email firstname.lastname@example.org, detailing your interest in the project and availability. Magic Me will arrange a phone call so we can learn more about each other and discuss what to expect from volunteering with Magic Me.
We welcome and encourage applications from people from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome local applicants who are from East London.
We aim to tailor each volunteer role to suit the needs of the individual and recognise that some individuals may need additional support in order to volunteer. If you would like more information and guidance about extra support please get in touch with Emily on the above email or if you would prefer call 0203 222 6064.
A downloadable pdf of the above information can be found here
You can find information on our current policies (safeguarding, equalities and diversity, volunteering, etc) here