We are looking for people aged 18 – 50 to take part in a seven-week project connecting older and younger adults in East London.
“Being part of a group & creating a joint effort creates a sense of purpose & belonging.”
Younger Adult Participant
Between February – early April, Magic Me will bring together older and younger adults (aged 18 – 80+) to find out what community means to them. The project will be led by theatre-maker Sue Mayo and photographer Anita McKenzie.
“What does the word community mean to different people?”
“What would older and younger people like to see more of in their shared communities?”
We will use creative activities such as drama, writing, collage and photography to try to answer these questions. The group will work towards creating a series of photos that will be exhibited at Pott Street (Magic Me’s base) in early April.
This project is all about…
- Making new connections with people you may not otherwise meet
- Exchanging ideas and experiences
- Trying something different
- Having fun
- Making interesting artwork
- Working with professional artists
Why is Magic Me different?
At Magic Me, older and younger people work together as equal partners, with a common purpose. Younger people are not in the room to ‘take care of’ or ‘entertain’ older people and visa versa. For Magic Me, intergenerational is about an exchange between people, where everyone both gives and receives, gaining from others’ points of view.
Workshops will take place on Tuesday afternoons, at Magic Me’s base on Pott Street, Bethnal Green, E2 0EF.
Project dates below:
- Tuesday 21 February, 2 – 3.30pm – Workshop 1
- Tuesday 28 February, 2 – 3.30pm – Workshop 2
- Tuesday 7 March, 2 – 3.30pm – Workshop 3
- Tuesday 14 March, 2 – 3.30pm – Workshop 4
- Tuesday 21 March, 2 – 3.30pm – Workshop 5
- Tuesday 4 April, Afternoon – Sharing Event & Celebration
Interested in joining the project?
We are looking for committed adults, please note that there are 10 places on this project. We will take suitable submissions on a first come first served basis, and will operate a waiting list for any submissions which come in after the places have been filled.