We are currently unable to take on volunteers / student placements – if you would like to hear about our opportunities when they arise please email email@example.com.
The Project Volunteer role is suitable for individuals with a genuine interest in Magic Me’s work and who are able to offer an accepting and understanding presence when supporting participants and artists on a weekly basis.
Our projects are all different but the following tasks are likely to be a key part of the role:
- Building relationships with participants
- Participant support e.g. reading aloud instructions
- Artist support e.g. preparing materials
- Completing session registers
- Meeting children to walk to venue
- Collecting & setting up equipment & setting up the space
- Documenting the project e.g. photographs/audio recordings
- Sharing observations and giving feedback
We recognise the enormous value volunteers bring to our projects and therefore aim to provide a meaningful experience in a supportive and safe environment.
In return for volunteering we offer:
- A full induction for the role and volunteers are appointed a key contact for regular supervision and on-going support.
- An opportunity to gain experience working with groups of children and older people.
- An opportunity to work in partnership with artists, schools and care/housing providers – gaining insight into other professions.
- A reference for future roles.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to and from sessions (between London zones 16).
- A full (free) Disclosure & Barring Service Check.
The location of most of our projects is in the east end of London, we do occasionally have opportunities in the outer eastern boroughs (eg Waltham Forest) and Essex.
Project timelines vary but generally Project Volunteers support weekly two hour workshops.
We also offer students the opportunity to volunteer with us on student placements.
Being a student on a placement with Magic Me is a great way to gain hands-on experience working in an intergenerational setting, and especially suited to those looking to complement their research or artists starting out in community practice.
The role is very similar to the above volunteering role but can be tailored to the student’s specific interests and can also include working with the Magic Me team in the office to get a wider range of experience.
You can see all our policy documents regarding volunteering, safeguarding, equalities and diversity here