Project volunteers assist our artists in the delivery of sessions and also get involved in the planning and evaluation of all our intergenerational arts projects.
The Project Volunteer role is suitable for individuals with a genuine interest in Magic Me’s work and who are able to offer an accepting and understanding presence when supporting participants and artists on a weekly basis.
Our projects are all different but the following tasks are likely to be a key part of the role:
- Building relationships with participants
- Participant support e.g. reading aloud instructions
- Artist support e.g. preparing materials
- Completing session registers
- Meeting children to walk to venue
- Collecting & setting up equipment & setting up the space
- Documenting the project e.g. photographs/audio recordings
- Sharing observations and giving feedback
We recognise the enormous value volunteers bring to our projects and therefore aim to provide a meaningful experience in a supportive and safe environment.
In return for volunteering we offer:
- A full induction for the role and volunteers are appointed a key contact for regular supervision and on-going support.
- An opportunity to gain experience working with groups of children and older people.
- An opportunity to work in partnership with artists, schools and care/housing providers – gaining insight into other professions.
- A reference for future roles.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to and from sessions (between London zones 16).
- A full (free) Disclosure & Barring Service Check.
The location of most of our projects is in the east end of London, we do occasionally have opportunities in the outer eastern boroughs (eg Waltham Forest) and Essex.
Our Arts & Ages projects bring school pupils together with older people and therefore only run in school term times. The typical time commitment for a volunteer would be one half day a week over a 10 week project, with some flexibility.
We also offer students the opportunity to volunteer with us on student placements.
Being a student on a placement with Magic Me is a great way to gain hands-on experience working in an intergenerational setting, and especially suited to those looking to complement their research or artists starting out in community practice.
The role is very similar to the above volunteering role but can be tailored to the student’s specific interests and can also include working with the Magic Me team in the office to get a wider range of experience.
We do not have any specific opportunities at the moment but feel free to get in touch to let us know your interest or join our mailing list.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in volunteering with us on a project, please email email@example.com, detailing your interest in the project and availability. Magic Me will arrange a phone call so we can learn more about each other and discuss what to expect from volunteering with Magic Me. We welcome and encourage applications from people from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome local applicants who are from East London.
We aim to tailor each volunteer role to suit the needs of the individual and recognise that some individuals may need additional support in order to volunteer. If you would like more information and guidance about extra support please get in touch with Emily on the above email or if you would prefer call 0203 222 6064.
You can see all our policy documents regarding volunteering, safeguarding, equalities and diversity here