Associate Artists: Call for Expression of Interest
(Deadline 24 August 2023, 12noon) NOW CLOSED
We are looking for freelance creatives to join Magic Me as Associate Artists as we start our journey as a new Arts Council National Portfolio Organisation. We are looking for Associate Artists to join our freelance pool in Autumn 2023, until March 2026.
Photo from Quality Street Project by Samia Meah
We are looking for artists across a wide range of disciplines and artforms who are interested and curious to bring their practice and apply Magic Me’s Intergenerational Principles to a range of community settings.
We are particularly looking for artists with the following experience:
- Living or working in Tower Hamlets
- Lived experience of being part of the Muslim and/or South Asian community
- Lived experience of being working class
- Collaborating with community partners (eg. teacher, care home manager etc) to co-design arts projects in response to a particular situation or agenda important to them
- Have worked previously as artists in care or health settings, non-arts environments, in people’s spaces or homes (community halls, Sheltered Housing, estates etc)
- Have delivered arts projects with people who have complex needs (all ages), are neuro-divergent, have learning disabilities or are living with a Dementia.
We would love to hear from artists who work in the following ways:
- Are interested in and motivated by cross-arts collaboration and the potential of intergenerational working
- Passionate about challenging ageism
- Are collaborative and want to co-design with participants, Magic Me staff, community partner staff
- Interested in creating an experience not just making an outcome
- Are skilled at communicating with a wide range of people simultaneously
- Have a learning and reflective mindset, and want to challenge and develop themselves and their practice.
- Are able to describe their practice in an accessible way
- Can apply elements of their art form/practice to different contexts/groups
- See the value of people and social outcomes as well as as arts outcomes
- Find ways to challenge and stretch groups, individuals in sensitive ways
|Expression of Interest Deadline
Upload via the form below
|Thursday 24 August, 12 noon|
|Interviews (online, 30 – 45 minutes)
First round shortlisted artists meet the Magic Me team and tell us more about their work.
|Wednesday 6 or Thursday 7 September
Between 10.00am – 5.00pm
|Workshop (in person, 2.5 – 3 hours)
An opportunity to lead a short creative activity with participants and other fellow artists (full brief will be sent in advance)
Paid @ £65 flat fee per candidate
|Monday 18 September or Tuesday 26 September
2.00 – 5.00pm at Pott Street, Bethnal Green (E2)
Before applying, please read the full Associate Artists Recruitment Pack
Applications Now Closed